Social Security disability


Q: I am currently a retired CSRS offset employee who is on Social Security disability. My question is when you turn 62, does your disability payment change to regular social security or does it change at 66? I have been told conflicting information.

A: As long as you continue to be disabled, you’ll continue to receive a Social Security disability benefit. However, because you were covered by a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes — CSRS — when you reach age 62, the windfall elimination provision will reduce the amount of your Social Security disability benefit if you have fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply