Re-employed annuitant and recalculated CSRS pension


Q. I retired from CSRS with 36 years’ service. I have since become a re-employed annuitant and will hit the five-year mark soon. Because of the nature of the position, I did not have to give up my retired pay. When I retire, will I be eligible for a recalculated CSRS pension assuming I elected to make a deposit for the five years as a re-employed annuitant?

A. No, you won’t be eligible for a redetermined annuity, nor may you make a deposit to get credit for that time. That’s the law.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I have 35 years csrs off set- age 68-have 4 years paid ssi and 2 years paid ssi with DONavy. I want to pay to make up for private employment (4) years or (2) years when I am 70. My salary is now $30.00 hour. How much ssi can I collect at age 70 while still working and how much when I retire?

    • To be in CSRS Offset, you would have to have had at least 5 years of pure CSRS service as of January 1, 1987. Therefore the most CSRS Offset service you could have is 30 years. If that 4 years of Social Security-covered service you referred to was earned outside of the federal government, you can’t make a deposit to get credit for it. On the other hand, how your 2-years of Social Security-covered service in the Department of the Navy will be handled depends of when it occurred. If it occurred on or after October 1, 1982, you’ll have to make a deposit, plus accrued interest to get credit for it. If it occurred before October 1, 1982, you have the option of making a deposit for that time, plus accrued interest, or having your annuity actuarially reduced based on the amount you owe. When you retire, your CSRS annuity will be reduced by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while a CSRS Offset employee. The amount of Social Security to which you’ll be entitled will be based on your entire Social Security-covered employment history. The Social Security Administration periodically provides employees with estimates of the amount of benefits they’ll be entitled to. If you haven’t, you can call SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and ask for one.

Leave A Reply