Medicare Part B


Q. I will apply for Medicare Part A when I reach 65 as a FERS retiree. My wife will not be eligible for eight years after, and I will retain my federal Blue Cross/Blue Shield family policy. She also has a state BC/BS policy in which I am included. Her policy does not carry over into retirement, so I will keep mine until she is eligible for Medicare. If I wait until she no longer has me under her policy, will I be entitled to then apply for Medicare Part B without penalty under the Substantially Equal Periodic Payment exception, or do I need to do it when I am eligible for Medicare to avoid the 10 percent-per-year penalty?

A. If that health plan is based on her current employment, you can enroll without penalty during the eight-month period that begins the first full month after you are no longer covered under that plan based on her current employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply