Collecting annuity ASAP


Q. I am 55 years old and left civil service in 2001. I started civil service in 1990 and paid to add my military time (14 years) into my civil service time. When I left civil service at age 43, I had more than 25 years of creditable service. My minimum retirement age is 56 years, and I would like to start collecting my retirement annuity as soon as possible. Does it matter that I was involuntarily separated from civil service due to losing my security clearance for reasons that were not my fault? I also heard that if I were to take any federal service job at this time, it would change my retirement eligibility. Please advise me how I can start my annuity ASAP.

A. You could apply for a deferred annuity at age 56. However, because you’d be retiring under the MRA+10 provision, your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year (5/12 percent per month) that you were under age 62. You could reduce or eliminate that penalty by delaying the receipt of your annuity to a later date.

If you went back to work for the government, you would only be eligible to retire when you met the age and service requirements: age 62 with five, age 60 with 20, at your MRA (56) with 30, or at your MRA with 10.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply