CSRS offset and annuity


Q. I received a refund of my CSRS contributions when I separated from federal service in 1993. Four years later, I returned to federal service. I am CSRS offset.

Because I withdrew my contributions from CSRS, and federal service where Social Security taxes are withheld is not affected by the windfall elimination provision, will withdrawing CSRS contributions change my Social Security benefit when I retire?

A. No. Because you took a refund of your retirement contributions after Feb. 28, 1991, that period of service won’t be used in the computation of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Frederick Maley on

    My wife left the Federal Government in 1993 after 18 years of service and withdrew her CSRS (approx $29,000). She is getting ready to retire in the next two (2) years from the private sector and wanted to see if you could shed some light on whether or not she would be entitled to any kind of retirement from the Federal Government? If so, any idea how she would go about starting the process and who would she need to contact?

    Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
    Best regards,
    Frederick C. Maley

Leave A Reply