Survivor annuity


Q. My mother-in-law is in hospice and was receiving a pension after having worked at civil service (at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.) for approximately 30 years. She is 72 years old and retired when she was 55. Will my father-in-law be eligible to receive any pension benefits and death benefits?

A. Your mother-in-law was required to provide a full survivor benefit for your father-in-law unless he agreed to a lesser amount or none at all.

When she dies, he will need to notify the Office of Personnel Management at 888-767-6738 or 724-794-2005. If he is entitled to a survivor benefit, they will tell him how to apply for it. If she is enrolled in the self-and-family option of a Federal Employees Health Benefits plan, and he is entitled to a survivor benefit, he will be able to continue that coverage.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply