CSRS refund


Q. I retired June 30 with 45 years and six months of creditable service that included four years of military time (which was not repaid). I receive service-connected disability pay that was incurred during wartime on active duty. On my Form 2801, Schedule A, military retired pay (Schedule B), I checked no to waive my retirement benefits to receive credit for military service.

Will I receive all of the excess contributions I made to CSRS from when I surpassed the maximum of 41 years and 11 months to when I retired June 30, which is a total of three years and seven months?

A. No. That’s because you don’t have any excess contributions. You only had retirement contributions taken from your pay for the 41 years and six months you were actually employed.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply