Term employment and creditable service


Q. I am a full-time employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs. Prior to becoming full time, I was a term employee for two years. After my term position was terminated, I was paid my final pay along with unused leave. I was hired approximately four months later in a full-time position but in a different area. Does my time as a term employee count toward my retirement, or is this time lost?

A. If that period of term employment occurred on or after Jan. 1, 1989, it isn’t creditable service and you can’t make a deposit to make it so.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply