Windfall elimination provision


Q. Is there any legal way around the windfall elimination provision if you have only the 40 quarters of Social Security. My pension was reduced nearly 50 percent because of this act. My wife collects Social Security. Could I get half of her benefit and give up mine? She gets over $1,300 a month while I am now getting $349 monthly. I had over 38 years under CSRS with the Postal Service.

A. No. There isn’t any way to get around the law.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply