Discontinued service retirement


Q. I am receiving a FERS disability retirement. I have 23 years of service (not counting time on disability) and will turn 50 in the coming months. I was on agency rolls until the award of my disability retirement, and then my agency separated me from service. If my disability annuity is terminated by the Office of Personnel Management, would I be considered involuntarily separated from federal service for purposes of qualifying for discontinued service retirement?

A. You would qualify whether or not you had been involuntarily separated.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply