CSRS retirement


Q. I will be eligible to draw my CSRS retirement on Jan. 18. I work at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Asheville, N.C. I will be 62 years of age on Jan. 18 and also eligible to draw Social Security. Can I draw my CSRS retirement but leave my Social Security at this time, and still continue to work at VA and draw full pay?

A. Yes, you can retire and postpone the receipt of your Social Security benefit to a later date. However, if you return to work for the federal government, the salary of your new position will be reduced by the amount of your annuity. Alternatively, you could continue to work at VA and apply for your Social Security benefit when you finally retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply