Special retirement supplement


Q. I plan on retiring in 1½ years with 25 years as a federal law enforcement officer. I will be 48 and will receive the full special retirement supplement until I reach my minimum retirement age, which is 56 years and four months. After that, will my annuity affect the SRS? If so, how? In other words, will my annuity be calculated as earnings when it comes to the SRS?

A. You may earn as much as you want until you reach your MRA without it having any effect on the SRS. After that, if you have earnings from work or self-employment (not income from other sources), the SRS will be reduced or suspended. The earnings limit rules applying to that are the same as those for Social Security benefits.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply