Special retirement supplement


Q. I retired from the Postal Service on Jan. 31. I will reach my minimum retirement age next year. I am also a widow. Will my special retirement supplement be based on my deceased husband’s Social Security?  I will not be drawing off of mine.

A. The special retirement supplement is based solely on the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while a FERS employee and is paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply