Q. I retired from civil service in 2011 at age 62. In November, I turn 65. I get a retirement annuity from civil service (33 years), along with a reduced railroad retirement annuity (10½ years).

My insurance is with GEHA, which we have kept. Last month, I received a Medicare card from the railroad retirement board, but so far nothing from the government. I cannot figure if I have to apply for the one from civil service or rely on the railroad card. I assume they would have the same Medicare number.

Should I be concerned the government has not sent a card, or is this something I have to apply for? Friends who have retired from the government told me I do not have to do anything; it is automatic for the card.

Also, since I am going under Medicare, how is my wife, who is 60 years old, going to be covered? By GEHA or Obamacare?

A. Neither your former employer nor the Office of Personnel Management will send you a notice. Your Medicare coverage is handled by the Social Security Administration. Give them a call at 1-800-772-1213.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply