Government pension offset


Q. My husband passed away two years ago and, because I retired with a California Public Employees’ Retirement System pension, I am not eligible to receive his Social Security benefit because of the government pension offset. When I reach full retirement age (66), does the GPO still apply?

A. Yes.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply