FEHB coverage for spouse


Q. I am a federal employee with 32 years of service and covered by CSRS. I plan to carry Federal Employees Health Benefits coverage for myself into retirement. My spouse works (nonfederal) and receives health insurance coverage from her employer.

1. What is the minimum survivor annuity I am required to provide for my spouse to ensure she can continue coverage under FEHB in the event of my death?

2. Is my spouse required to be enrolled in the FEHB program at the time of my death to be eligible for coverage, or can she enroll in the program after my death?

A. 1. Because you are covered by CSRS, you can — with your wife’s written permission — elect a survivor annuity as small as $1 a year.

2. If you die, your wife would have to be covered under the self-and-family option of your plan to continue that coverage.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply