Retirement if nonretained by Air National Guard


Q. I have 30 years of federal service as a WG-12. I am 52 years old. If I am nonretained in the Air National Guard, will I get my FERS retirement and my Supplemental Security Income? It is my understanding that if I’m over 50 years old with 30 years of service, I should receive both with no penalty.

A. If you are involuntarily separated from the National Guard, you would be eligible for early retirement. Anyone in your situation who has at least 25 years of service can retire at any age. Your annuity wouldn’t be subject to the age penalty and you would be entitled to the special retirement supplement when you reach your MRA, which is 56.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply