Workers' compensation and annuity computation


Q. I am a GS 1811, injured in the line of duty in 2002. I have been collecting workers’ compensation for the past 12 years.

Prior to my injury, I had 12 years 1811 time. I bought back all of my active-duty military time back (6.8 years).

I am in FERS. I know that, as an 1811, my annual pension is 1.7 percent. Does my time on workers’ compensation also count toward 1811 time? I know my military time is calculated at 1.0 percent.

Assuming that the compensation counts toward government service, I would have 24 years at 1.7 percent = 40.8 percent, plus the military time of 6.8 percent. The total would be 47.6 percent. Is this correct?

The Department of Labor is trying to send my back to work in “light duty capacity.” I will be 65 years old at the end of the year. Will I also collect my Social Security at the rate for a 65-year-old? I worked in a local police department for 22 years and was grandfathered into the 1811 position.

A. No, your time spent on workers’ compensation doesn’t count toward the 20-year requirement to receive a law enforcement retirement benefit.

Therefore, if you ever transition to a FERS retirement annuity, it will all be calculated using the standard — not the enhanced — formula.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Michael Jordan on

    I been on owcp since 1996 an i am trying to find out when can i collect my pension i am 52 an getting federal workers comp. I have not worked since 96 an i worked at fdic for 3 to 4 yrs b4 i got injured an prior to that i was in the military for 6yrs. So being on owcp fro 96 to present does those yrs count towards my pension an when can i start receiving any money from opm an stop my workers comp.

Leave A Reply