File for disability retirement and SSDI?


Q. I am a disabled veteran. I was employed by the Postal Service for almost 10 years. I was injured in 2011, the result of a previous ankle sprain. I was approved for workers’ compensation and have received benefits for the past two years.

Recently, I received a letter stating that my employer USPS will separate me via disability separation. If they do, should I apply for increased veteran benefits or Social Security disability? What laws should protect me from being separated?

A. Because of your inability to perform your assigned duties, you need to file for FERS disability retirement and Social Security Disability Insurance. Whether you would be eligible for any veteran benefits falls outside the boundaries of this forum. You’ll have to check with the Veterans Affairs Department. While you could appeal your separation from the Postal Service, I’m not sure what your grounds would be.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply