Discontinued service retirement?


Q. I have 18 years of federal service under FERS and am 51 years old. If my agency rates me unacceptable and removes me for inability to perform, would I be eligible for discontinued service retirement? Would my annuity be postponed until I reach an older age?

A. You wouldn’t be eligible for discontinued service retirement. If you were separated and left your retirement contributions in the fund, you’d be able to apply for a deferred retirement at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply