LWOP-US and creditable service


Q. While a civilian employee with the Veterans Health Administration, my Army Reserve unit was activated and I stayed on leave without pay for more than four years while on active duty. I then returned to my civilian VHA job.

I recently read that my LWOP status counts as half time toward retirement.

1. Is that true?

2. Would that mean I only have to buy back two of my four active-duty years to make it count toward civilian retirement?

A. I don’t know where you read that, but it’s untrue. To get credit for any time spent on LWOP-US, you must make a deposit to the civilian retirement system.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply