2 annuities


Q. I retired in 2004 under the D.C. Police and Firefighters Retirement System (Metro Plan) and immediately re-entered the federal government as a permanent full-time employee. My second career will consist of 11 years. I assume I will be able to continue to receive my current annuity and draw a smaller second annuity from my 11-year service. Is that true?

A. Yes, you would be able to receive both annuities. Whether you’d be able to retire from your civilian job with only 11 years of service would depend on your age. If you had reached your minimum retirement age, which ranges between 55 and 57 depending on your year of birth, you could retire under the MRA+10 provision. However, your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you were under age 62. On the other hand, if you were 62, you could receive an unreduced annuity with as few as five years of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply