When to apply for retirement


Q. I have left the government with 12 years of service and bought military time of 10 years. I am now 59 years of age. I am under FERS. Can I apply for retirement this year (I’ll be 60) to receive retirement pay without penalty? I don’t want to have pension reduced or penalized under 62.

I was also in the Navy Reserve and got activated for almost a year.

I heard that my retirement age would be reduced 90 days. Does that mean my retirement starts three months before my birthday? My birth month is September. What month can I apply?

A. Because you have at least 20 years of creditable service, you can apply for an unreduced deferred retirement at age 60. Go to www/opm.gov, click on Forms, download a copy of form RI 92-19, complete it, and send it to the Office of Personnel Management a few months before your 60th birthday.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply