Deferred annuity


Q. I am a 60 percent disabled veteran, so I earn a disability income. When I started work at the Postal Service, I bought my military time back so it would count toward retirement, so my service date is Sept. 1, 2001 (actually started in 2006). I am 46 years old now and I am looking to leave the USPS within three to four years. What options do I have for retirement? Could you explain deferred annuity and any other options available to me?

A. If you leave the federal government with fewer than 20 years of creditable service, you can apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. That annuity will be based on your years and full months of service and high-3 on the day you left. When your annuity begins, you won’t be able to re-enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits or Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance programs.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply