FERS disability


Q. I have 31 years in FERS, including seven years military buyback. I have an MRA of 58. I am 80 percent service connected VA. I am having issues doing my job due to service-connected and other disabilities acquired during my employment. Can I collect 100 percent unemployment and still retire FERS or do I have to file FERS disability?

A. You could retire on an immediate FERS annuity, or you could apply for FERS disability annuity. If you did the latter, you’d also have to file for Social Security disability benefits. If you didn’t, OPM wouldn’t process your application. The choice is yours to make.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply