Redeposit of CSRS for FERS employee


Q. I worked for the U.S. Postal Service for one month in 1974 and then left to join the Navy. After serving four years in the Navy, I applied for reinstatement to the Postal Service and was rehired in February 1980 under CSRS. I left the Postal Service in September 1984 and collected my retirement earnings. I was rehired by the Postal Service in November 1986 and placed under FERS. I have bought back my four years of military time. I would like to make a redeposit for the CSRS period of four years and seven months. What terms and/or interest rates would apply?

A. Interest rates vary from year to year. To find out how much you would have to redeposit to get credit for your prior service, complete Standard Form 3108, Application to Make Service Credit Payment and send it to the Office of Personnel Management


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply