Deferred annuity


Q. I am currently overseas on an extended family vacation. I’ll be turning 62 years old at the end of this month. I left the federal service as a law enforcement officer in 2012 with 6 ½ years of creditable service. I did not receive a refund of my retirement contributions when I quit from my federal job. Can you give me an approximate annuity based on my service? What do I have to do to apply for it?

A. Here’s the formula for computing your annuity:

.01 x your length of service x the average of your highest three years of pay

To apply for a deferred annuity, go to Download a copy of form RI-92-19, Application for Deferred or Postponed Retirement. Fill out the form and send it to OPM.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Reginald Holmes on

    I am a retired CSRS and in Dec 2016 I will be 65 and currently am covered under FEHB. When I turn 65 what options does my spouse have for health care. My wife does not turn 65 for 2 months I will be under MEDICARE. When we both turn 65 will we both have are individual MEDICARE or can I cover my wife on my policy as a dependent for dental, vision and Rx

Leave A Reply