Deferred annuity


Q. If I resign from the government, am I required to leave my money in the retirement fund to be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 60 (to avoid the age reduction)? I want to transfer my retirement fund to my own securities personal bank. To be eligible for an early out, do you have to be at your minimum retirement age?

A. If you withdrew your retirement contributions, you would void your entitlement to a deferred annuity. To be eligible for an offer of early retirement, you’d have to meet one of the following combinations of age and service: age 50 with 20 years of service or at any age with 25 years of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. ALVIE l. HUBBS on

    I worked for DODDS for 12 plus years. Due to my husbands reassignment in the Air Force, I had to resign in 1994. Now that I am approaching age 62 am I eligible for the Federal retirement plan age 62 and 12 plus years? When we returned to the US and was assigned to Warner Robins Ga, the local Class 7 school denied me my rights under title 7 and would only offer me a substitute role for three long years!

    • If you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you left government. you will be eligible for a retirement annuity at age 62.

Leave A Reply