Social Security


Q. I’m receiving my husband’s Cvil Service monthly annuity, which he elected me to receive. He only had 25 quarters of private-sector work. During his federal service, he did not pay into Social Security. Will I be able to collect his federal annuity and my full Social Security because it was my own work, or will my Social Security be reduced?

A. You’ll be able to receive a CSRS survivor annuity and your own unreduced Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Peggie Devan RN on

    I am on disability CSRS retirement at age 50 after almost 20 years of working at the VAMC. I also worked 11 years full time in the private sections. WHY DOES MY SS retirement have to be reduced by 2/3rds the amount of income

Leave A Reply