Spouse's Social Security


Q. I worked for the Internal Revenue Service for more than 30 years. I receive a CSRS pension. Can I receive my deceased husband’s Social Security benefit?

A. Yes. However, because you are receiving an annuity from CSRS, a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, that benefit will be subject to the government pension offset, which will reduce your Social Security spousal survivor benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply