Special retirement supplement and resignation


Q. I celebrate my 25th anniversary with the federal government in February. At that time, I will be 58½ years old. If I were to resign and postpone my pension until 60 (my minimum retirement age), would I still receive the special retirement supplement when I file for retirement?

A. If you resigned and applied for a deferred annuity at age 60, you wouldn’t be entitled to the special retirement supplement. The same is true if you retired under the MRA+10 provision, whether or not you postponed the receipt of your annuity to a later date to reduce or avoid the 5 percent-per-year penalty for being under age 60. P.S. You have already reached your MRA, which is 56.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply