Q. I am a retired federal employee. I kept my Blue Cross/Blue Shield under the Federal Employees Health Benefits. My husband is retired Army and is covered by Tricare for Life, Medicare and my Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I am also covered under my husband’s Tricare but not Tricare for Life. Do I need to sign up for anything else when I turn 65 in January?

A. Assuming that you are eligible for Medicare, you will automatically be enrolled in parts A and B. Part A won’t cost you anything. However, you’d have to pay the premiums for Part B. If you decide that you don’t need it, you’ll have to decline that coverage.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply