Discontinued service retirement and SRS eligibility


Q. I am a 50-year-old dual-status Air National Guard military technician under FERS. If I decline to enter into the Disability Evaluation System solely for a fitness determination, and am involuntarily separated for Physical Disqualification IAW AFI 36-3209, paragraph 3.14 for enlisted personnel, am I entitled to the special retirement supplement immediately if I retire under a discontinued service retirement with 24 years and four months of service, or will it begin at minimum retirement age (56 years for me)?

If I enter into the DES and the time it takes to go through gets me over 25 years service as a technician, does it make a difference as far as an immediate FERS annuity supplement is concerned?

A. If you are retired on disability, you’d be entitled to the special retirement supplement.


About Author

Leave A Reply