Medicare Part B


Q. I need information as to how Medicare Part B premiums  are paid when the following applies, per CMS.HHS:

“If you are not set up on your spouse’s Social Security number with a B or D following the Medicare number.”

My wife’s Medicare Part B card has a B following the Medicare number. When my wife retires from the Postal Service with an immediate CSRS annuity, her Social Security benefit, which is now used to pay the Part B premiums, will be greatly reduced due to the windfall elimination provision. If she cannot have the premiums deducted from her Social Security benefit, is there some other way/process for her pay the Part B premiums.

A. If her Social Security benefit isn’t high enough to cover the premiums, they will be deducted from her CSRS annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply