CSRS Offset


Q. I am under CSRS Offset. I retired in 2009 at age 57 with 30 years of service, went back to work as a contractor and am still working. I have paid into Social Security for approximately 40 years. Will there be an offset in my retirement when I turn 62?

A. There will be an offset on your CSRS annuity, regardless of how many years you were covered by Social Security. The windfall elimination provision only affects the amount of your Social Security benefit. If you have 30 or more years of substantial earnings under Social Security, that benefit won’t be reduced. Note: Substantial earnings are greater than those needed to earn Social Security credits. To see what they are, year by year, go to http://ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply