Survivor annuity


Q. Will I be able to receive survivor benefits based on my deceased husband’s Social Security benefit? I am a retired government employee.

A. Yes, however, because you are receiving an annuity from a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, that benefit will be subject to the government pension offset provision. The GPO will reduce it by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply