Retiring under MRA


Q. I am 52 with 31 years of FERS service. If I retire now, would I still get the special retirement supplement when I turn 56?  Or is that only if I were offered a voluntary retirement?  Can I get my retirement now? What is the penalty given my age and years of service?

A. You could only retire now if your agency offered you that option under the Voluntary Early Retirement Authority. If they did, you’d be entitled to the special retirement supplement when you reached your minimum retirement age, which is 56. If you weren’t offered a VERA, you could resign and apply for an unreduced deferred retirement at age 56. However, you wouldn’t be eligible for the special retirement supplement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply