Retirement eligibility


Q. I am trying to find out if I am eligible for a deferred retirement. Here are the specifics:
1. I am 61.
2. I have a total of four years of government service (with one break in service) as of December 2015.
3. I have bought back my military time (6.5 years).
Can I do a MRA+10 deferred retirement under FERS now?

A. No, you can’t. You have to have 5 years of actual FERS service to be eligible to retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Marjorie Marcus on

    In 1990 I returned to federal service after a 2 year break in service. When I left, I withdrew my retirement savings from my just over 5 years of service. In 1991 I filled out a form in which I “elected” FERS coverage.

    Now that I have just over 30 years of service, I am considering when I can reasonably retire. I also wonder if I was incorrectly categorized, or “put”, in FERS rather than being given a choice to elect CSRS. Would there be any merit to appeal a recent agency decision not to allow me to transfer to CSRS-Offset coverage now? I would make such an appeal to MSPB.

Leave A Reply