Collecting retirement and husband's Social Security


Q. I am a CSRS retiree. Can I collect my federal retirement and also collect on my share of my husband’s Social Security benefit?

A. Because you are receiving an annuity from a retirement system in which you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, your Social Security spousal benefit will be subject to the government pension offset provision of law. The GPO will reduce that spousal benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply