Q. I am a CSRS employee who has been working for 33 years plus four years of military credit gives me 37 years of service. I also have more than 40 credits to qualify for Social Security. I will be 62 this month. What is my classification in terms of government pension offset, windfall, etc.? I know that since I will receive a government pension, my Social Security will be reduced, but by how much and how can I figure it out? I plan on retiring ay the end of this year or next year.

A. Because you’ll be receiving an annuity from CSRS, a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, you’ll be subject to the windfall elimination provision. You can estimate what the reduction in your Social Security benefit would be by using the calculator at www.ssa.gov/retire2/anyPiaWepjs04.htm. The government pension offset applies only if you would be entitled to a spousal or survivor Social Security benefit based on your wife’s work history.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply