Medicare Part B for survivor


Q. My mother died while working for the Postal Service at age 60. My father is a survivor annuitant receiving a pension and paying for health care premiums under the Federal Employees Health Benefits plan. My father is turning 65 and eligible for Medicare. Does he have the option of declining Part B and carrying over his current FEHB health care for his lifetime?

A. He can continue his FEHB enrollment whether or not he signs up for Medicare Part B. If he doesn’t want Part B, he’ll need to decline it. Otherwise, he’ll end up being covered by Part B and charged the premiums.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply